LSM skeleton module printk message not showing in dmesg

toqeer ali toqeer83 at gmail.com
Fri May 20 00:29:50 EDT 2011

Hi All,

I am writing a skeleton LSM module to only print the message at boot time,
but I could not see any printk message in the dmesg.

Below are steps i did to enable the printk messages in the LSM module.

 What i did is download linux kernel 2.6.33.3.

1) added  the line source security/lsmcustommod/Kconfig        in
linuxsrc/security/Kconfig near ima/Kconfig.
2) added "subdir-$(CONFIG_SECURITY_LSMCUSTOMMOD)         += lsmcustommod"
line at linuxsrc/security/Makefile
3) created a directory in linuxsrc/security/lsmcustommod and putted three
files

            i) lsmcustommod.c
           ii) Kconfig
           iii) Makefile

*Kconfig file contents*

config SECURITY_LSMCUSTOMMOD
        bool "LSMCUSTOMMOD Support"
        depends on SECURITY
        select NETWORK_SECMARK
        default n
        help

*Makefile Contents*

obj-$(CONFIG_SECURITY_LSMCUSTOMMOD) := lsmcustommod.o

*lsmcustommod.c* contents

static __init lsmcustommod_init(void){
        /* register the hooks */

        if (register_security(&lsmcustommod_ops))
                panic("lsmcustommod: Unable to register lsmcustommod with
kernel.\n");
        else
                printk("lsmcustommod: registered with the kernel\n");

        return 0;
}

static void __exit lsmcustommod_exit (void)
{
        return;
}

module_init (lsmcustommod_init);
module_exit (lsmcustommod_exit);

MODULE_DESCRIPTION("lsmcustommod");
MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
#endif /* CONFIG_SECURITY_LSMCUSTOMMOD */

After that I also added some return 0 and printk statments in the
lsmcustommod_ops stucture.

lastly  disabled all modules in make menuconfig and select LSMCUTOMMOD in
security sections of the menufile and compile the kernel by the following
command.

make && make modules && make modules_install && make install
updategrub2

--
Toqeer Ali Syed

Red Hat Certified Engineer