unlocked_ioctl explanation

Ezequiel García elezegarcia at yahoo.com.ar
Thu May 19 13:53:27 EDT 2011

Thanks Dave for your answer. I guess the same question has been answered several times before. For the interest reader, I've found these:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/4711/what-is-the-difference-between-ioctl-unlocked-ioctl-and-compat-ioctl

http://lwn.net/Articles/119652/

http://www.mail-archive.com/kernelnewbies@nl.linux.org/msg00269.html

I have a remaining question, though. In the lwn article I read this:

"The ioctl() system call has long been out of favor among the
kernel developers, who see it as a completely uncontrolled entry point into
the kernel".

Is this pointing that ioctl() is planning to get removed from the kernel ? In that case what's the currently preferred mechanism for giving 'control commands' to device drivers ?

Thanks again and greetings,
Ezequiel.