system timer interrupt targets for SMP platforms with local timer support

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:28:24 EDT 2011

Hi Chris....

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 03:11, Christopher Harvey
<chris at basementcode.com> wrote:
>  I'm having a hard time finding out by reading documentation and source
>  code if a system timer IRQ is supposed to be directed at all cores of a
>  processor or if just interrupting one core is enough.

my take is if we don't use local timer interrupt, then logically
(global timer) should interrupt all cores.

I came to this understanding after recalling a fact that timer is a
way to trigger rescheduling after a time slice of a task is expired.
SInce we can't assume anything on which core a task is currently
running, then it would be easier if we just send interrupt to all
cores.

Not sure if you are agree with my deduction above....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant