Init error NFS booting a Fedora 13 file system

chris at basementcode.com chris at basementcode.com
Fri May 13 13:20:12 EDT 2011

 On Fri, 13 May 2011 13:06:40 -0300, Erlon Cruz <sombrafam at gmail.com>
 wrote:
> Hi all,
>     Im having the following problem to configure a diskless client.
> Everything seens to be OK. The client finds the kernel, loads the
> parameters, mount the NFS remote dir, but still cant find init.
> The error I get is:
>
> run-init: /sbin/init: No such file or directory
> Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> Pid: 1 , comm: run-init Not tainted
>
> I know the the file system can find /sbin/init because I compiled a
> small hello World program and compiled statically and it runs
> normally.
>  The question is: How can a make the real init run dynamically linked
> or how can I compile it statically?
>

> Kind regards,
> Erlon

 You can get a statically linked init program using buildroot to build
 busybox. Buildroot has a "build statically" option.
 I had that problem once, I solved it by booting a local filesystem that
 I knew worked, then I chrooted into the filesystem I was debugging and
 ran init manually. Turns out it was an "Illegal instruction" exception
 because I used a compiler with the wrong abi....

 So basically, if you can, boot the system by whatever other means, then
 use the chroot command on your manually mounted NFS.

 Hope that helps,
 -Chris