How vmlinux is recognized?

अनुज anuj01 at gmail.com
Thu May 12 05:31:13 EDT 2011

Hi All

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 9:02 AM, Vikram Narayanan <vikram186 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:51 AM, Mulyadi Santosa
> <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 03:11, Vikram Narayanan <vikram186 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Yes. I agree. But how who converts the ELF binary to raw binary so
> >> that the processor understands. Or how is it actually done?
> >
> > OK I try my best to understand your question :)
> >
> > i think I got it...you probably guessed that vmlinux created first,
> > then vmlinuz... AFAIK, it's the other way around...or more precisely,
> > not both.
>
> I think you got it wrong. I will try to put my question more elaborately.
> 1) The system is on and BIOS code runs. It gives the control to the
> boot loader, say GRUB.
> 2) Grub picks up the kernel from the specific partition. (i.e a
> vmlinuz image), which denotes that it is compressed.
> 3) There are uncompression routines in the kernel itself, If I am not
> wrong. So the kernel uncompresses itself.
> 4) Now the uncompressed thing is the vmlinux image, right?
> 5) The vmlinux is in ELF format. Correct?

I Guess Yes.

6) If the OS boots and if u try to run an ELF file, the loader knows
> how to load that in the RAM. (I mean it knows how to interpret the ELF
> format)

See the multi-boot specification. GRUB is a multi-boot compliant boot loader

> 7) Coming back to the vmlinux image, Who takes care of the loading
> activity.?

GRUB

8) Who recognizes that the image is ELF format and do the necessary
> things accordingly.?

GRUB

> Hope I have my question clear now.
>
> -
> Thanks,
> Vikram

Anuj Aggarwal

 .''`.
: :Ⓐ :   # apt-get install hakuna-matata
`. `'`
   `-