Seeing symbols of modules in kgdb setup

Spiro Trikaliotis ml-kernelnewbies at spiro.trikaliotis.net
Tue May 10 16:00:19 EDT 2011

Hello,

I have a question on setting up kgdb. I searched the web and found some
tutorials. Unfortunately, it seems many are out of date, especially
taking into account that kgdb has been (partially?) integrated into the
main kernel. For example, I had to find out that the parameter for kgdb
are not called kgdb8250 anymore, but kgdboc.

The fact that the tutorials do not mention the version they refer to
does not help much, either.

Now, to my problem:

I think the tutorial on Linsyssoft helped me a lot (but only after
combining it with other resources): http://kgdb.linsyssoft.com/quickstart.htm.

I have built a custom kernel with kgdb. kgdboc and kgdbwait are set up,
I can break into my machine over serial. I can single step through the
kernel, as long as no modules are involved.

As soon as I have a module, I do not see its symbols or source anymore.
http://kgdb.linsyssoft.com/downloads.htm mentions a modified "gdbmod",
which has additional functionality to allow this.

Unfortunately, the patch and the gdbmod version given there are rather
outdated (gdb 6.4), while my Debian system has a much newer one: 7.0.1.
I do not know how to apply the patches, they do not. I have not found
any information if the patch (or something similar) has been included
into the main gdb.

So, what do I have to do in order to get kgdb with modules to run? Any
help is appreciated, and if its just a "RTFM" (as long as you tell me
WHICH manual, that is ;))

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Best regards
Spiro.

--
Spiro R. Trikaliotis                              http://opencbm.sf.net/