How to find SCSI device to USB device association.

StephanT stman937-linewbie at yahoo.com
Mon May 9 17:07:57 EDT 2011

> Why would you want  such a mapping?  It's not stable, changes every time,
> and means  nothing.

Well, because it is a customer/marketing request. And they have _always_
the last word :)

The system I'm working now is an embedded box having four USB ports. Each
port is labeled on the box USB1, USB2,... and the user expects to find the
files
on the stick plugged in USB1 on /media/usb1 folder. You can see my problem.

It happens the USB port labeled USB1 on the box has the port number 4. The
USB2 is the #3 and so on. The solution I was thinking of is to add a rule to the
UDEV USB section invoking a script which will create a logical link
"/media/usbx"
depending of the USB port#  attached to the newly created "sda_". This link
is created every time the device is mounted and removed on umount.

Maybe you can suggest something simpler.

> Hope  this helps,
Sure it helps. Thanks!

/st