Faking PCI devices?

Manohar Vanga manohar.vanga at gmail.com
Wed May 4 05:39:20 EDT 2011

Hi,

I have written a simulated driver for a PCI board and am looking for a clean
way to use the driver. Currently, I am setting the PCI ids to PCI_ANY_ID and
only allowing a single probe call to go through using a global variable
(concurrency issues but I don't care for the simulation).

static int n
static int fake_board_probe(struct pci_dev *pdev, const struct pci_device_id
*ent)
{
    if (n == 1)
        return -1;
    n = 1;
}
static int fake_board_init(void)
{
    n = 0;
}

I want to do a cleaner job of this and wanted to write a PCI bridge driver
that actually registers the devices with the correct IDs that I need. This
also gives me the advantage of being able to register multiple devices which
is a useful for the simulation I am working on.
Can anyone point me in the right direction for this? Most of the code (eg.
struct pci_controller) seem to be architecture specific.

The code is available for anyone interested at:
https://github.com/mvanga/wbonesim

Thanks and best regards.
--
/manohar