looking for simple module/driver programming examples in source tree

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Tue May 3 10:20:12 EDT 2011

>>   i'm also interesting in collecting examples of documentation for
>> basic kernel programming concepts.  sometimes, there are excellent
>> examples in the source Documentation/ directory, sometimes not.

I think a useful work would be to keep an up-to-date version for the
example drivers found in Linux Device Drivers 3. Despite being a few
years old, the book is a valuable source of information regarding
kernel drivers development.

There are lots of repositories with examples updated to many kernel
versions. A few months ago I needed the examples updated to 2.6.32 and
found repositories for older kernels. I sent a few patches to the
author of the most up-to-date repository I found (I think It was
2.6.28) but didn't have any feedback so I (also) started my own git
tree with examples to kernel versions 2.6.32, 2.6.35 and 2.6.38.

Maybe instead having so many repositories all over the Internet trying
to do the same. It will be good to have a kernelnewbies oficial
repository for virtual device drivers. These drivers can be a good
starting point for someone doing real driver development (something
like the usb-skeleton.c for usb drivers). Also it could be a
playground for people eager to learn and start contributing with more
examples.

--
Javier Martínez Canillas
(+34) 682 39 81 69