looking for simple module/driver programming examples in source tree

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue May 3 09:39:16 EDT 2011

>> >   so have proc/seq file been massively deprecated in favour of sysfs
>> > attribute files, then?
>>
>> Yes, that happened about 8 years ago :)
>>
>> No driver should ever add a proc file, it's that simple.
>
>  oh, i was aware that the preference was for sysfs attr files.  i
> just didn't realize it was that stringent.  thanks.

I think the 'strictness' comes from the fact the /proc system was
heavily abused for dumping just about any info into it (in the early
days 2.4 kernel, I think).

/proc was originally meant for putting 'process' specific info (thats
why the name - proc) and not for device drivers. CMIIW.

sysfs is a dedicated place for device drivers to export info to userland.

HTH,
-mandeep