Debug Kernel Crash

swathi suresh swathi.suresh07 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 00:05:44 EDT 2011

Hello All,

         I wanted to know what is the best way to generate the kernel crash
dump on kernel panic,
after doing some searching, i came to know we can use kexec to load a new
kernel on the kernel,
i followed the instruction from the following links
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kdump.html
http://www.developertutorials.com/tutorials/linux/reboot-linux-faster-072204-1358/

I do found that the  kernel load properly with the, kexec -l option followed
by kexec -e option,
but when i set the kernel to be loaded on kernel panic using the option
kexec -p, i see that after
kernel crash, the system just hangs, it wont even try to load the new
kernel. following are the
commands am using. Can some one point, if there is any thing wrong with
this.

chkconfig kdump on
/etc/init.d/kdump start
kexec -l --append="`cat /proc/cmdline`"
--initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.35.10-kdump /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35.10-kdump
kexec -e

works fine and loads the kernel successfully, i will be able to see *starting
new kernel* in the shell
*
*
*
chkconfig kdump on
/etc/init.d/kdump start
*
kexec -p --append="`cat /proc/cmdline`" --initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.35.10*
-kdump
**
 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35.10
-kdump
*
*

*
i simulate the panic by using
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
echo c > /proc/sysrq-trigger

which just crash the kernel and system hangs, and it does not show any
message *starting new kernel.*
*
*
Thanks,