Problem compiling BCM Wireless driver on 2.6.37 (lib80211 symbol issue)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Sun Mar 20 14:50:07 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:42:36PM +0530, Shreyansh Jain wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 09:04:21PM +0530, Shreyansh Jain wrote:
> >> Dear List,
> >>
> >> I recently compiled and booted up the 2.6.37 kernel on my Ubuntu
> >> (10.04), from 2.6.36.1. I have been trying to compile the Broadcom
> >> Wireless driver on 2.6.37, after making some changes in the source
> >> code. Just to add, this driver has been working fine on 2.6.36.1 which
> >> my machine ran earlier.
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Why not ask the authors of that code?  As it is closed source, they are
> > the only ones that can legally help you out.
>
> Well, I have not considered asking the authors because I have the
> code, I can successfully compile it and then, unable to link to the
> kernel because of a missing function which is present in another
> module and exported in the kernel.

Wait, why ask some random people instead of the people who can actually
fix the problem for you (i.e. the authors of the code?)

> Yes, this driver might not be GPL'd, but I certainly have its code.

Yes, but note that just because you have the code, that doesn't mean
that anyone else has the rights to change it (including you), or help
you out.  Please read the license for what you have before making
assumptions.

best of luck,

greg k-h