Common signal handler system call

Bernd Petrovitsch bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at
Sat Mar 19 17:43:26 EDT 2011

On Sam, 2011-03-19 at 19:48 +0530, mohit verma wrote: [...]
>    is there any need of raise() system call if we have kill() system
> call which  is capable of sending signals to the process itself?

No there is no need. But at least on Fedora 13, `man 2 raise` doesn't
give anything but `man 3 raise` does. The simple interpretation is that
that raise() is a C library function and not a system call.

Well, you can implement your idea as a library function too.
Apart from the "just for fun" factor or to learn how to implement a new
system call, I see no real gain to move that into kernel.

> Actually there are lots of examples of this type .Some of them are for
> compatibility  reasons  and still some are "i dont know why." :)

FullACK. The system calls were defined ages ago and who knows now what
and why people (and *who*) defined it, so some cruft should be expected.
And since such design decision tend to live for ages, more people should
throw their thoughts in .....
[...]
Bernd
Bernd Petrovitsch                  Email : bernd at petrovitsch.priv.at