SIGPROF received ( profile timer expired )

अनिकेत आगाशे agasheac at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 05:41:12 EDT 2011

*http://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/gprof-2.9.1/html_chapter/gprof_9.html*

para from link,

However, some operating systems, most notably Linux 2.0 (and earlier), do
not provide a profil() system call. On such a system, arrangements are made
for the kernel to periodically deliver a signal to the process (typically
via setitimer()), which then performs the same operation of examining the
program counter and incrementing a slot in the memory array. Since this
method requires a signal to be delivered to user space every time a sample
is taken, it uses considerably more overhead than kernel-based profiling.
Also, due to the added delay required to deliver the signal, this method is
less accurate as well.

whether we can change value of an interval timer used for profiling ?

*
*

Thank you*,
*