UART and servo controller

Carlo Caione carlo.caione at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:38:38 EDT 2011

Hi,
as an exercise I was trying to write a very simple module to drive a micro serial servo controller. This servo controller should be interfaced through a RS232-UART converter to a free UART port on the OMAP processor present on a beagleboard.
This servo controller is very simple: the serial commands are given through serial port following a strict protocol.
The idea was to create an ad-hoc  character driver and interact with it using ioctl() (or procfs) to give commands to the motors (which motor to move and the final position).
To learn about serial and UART drivers I was looking at the serial drivers for the omap (drivers/serial/omap-serial.c) but I suspect that this is not the right choice.
The problem is that I don't want a serial device (/dev/ttyXX) the user can interact with (i.e. reading or writing to). The user should be able just to use ioctl() on an ad-hoc character device (i.e. /dev/motors) whereas the communication part through the UART and the communication protocol (configuration of the packet to send) should be up to the driver, in a transparent way.

Now my question is:
* How can I manage to hide the serial communication part into the driver (kernel), exposing to the user just an ad-hoc character device? It is enough for me a pointer to a driver similar to mine to take a look at the code.

I suspect that I should use the UART driver because I need to set the communication parameters such as baudrate, parity and so on. But also when I use uart_register_driver() to register the driver I need (need?) e pointer to the console structure and this is not I want.

Thank you and sorry for the noob question.

--
Carlo Caione