Need an understanding on Bluetooth driver

Tirtha Ghosh gtirtha at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 07:01:48 EST 2011

Hi All,

I am really new to bluetooth s/w development. And need some idea how it
works in linux system.

As far as I know, Bluez protocol stack is available on Linux. Bluez drivers
are already mainlined in Kernel and utilities are available for user-space.

When we say bluez driver, what does it mean? Is it the bluetooth protocol
stack? If so, then what user-space utilities contain?

The BT chip can be connected via UART, USB or SDIO interfaces. Who
communicate with these interfaces, is it bluez kernel drivers or user-space
utilities (via sys or proc)?

Finally, I saw this BT chips can support Toshiba stack or BlueSoleil or any
other stack. Does bluez support any form of BT, regardless what protocol
stack they are using??
Say, there is BT chip in form of USB dongle which can be connected via
regular USB port to the system. Does this dongle may need specific driver in
Linux or bluez driver can handle this dongle using normal USB drivers
available in system??

I am not sure if I sound clear about my doubts. A small description about
bluez architecture might clear my doubt.
I am aware of linux kernel and device driver model, so you can be specific
while describing this.

TIA