Any tool under linux to parsing BPB/Bs/FAT table?

loody miloody at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:40:26 EST 2011

hi Beraldo:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 08:09:17PM +0800, loody wrote:
>> hi:
>> # ./fat-util info /dev/sdc1
>> JMP opcodes: EB 58 90
>> OEM Name:  mkdosfs
>> Bytes per sector: 512
>> Sectors per cluster: 8
>> # reserved sectors: 32
>> # FATs on volume: 2
>> # root directory entries: 0
>> Sectors in volume: 0
>> Media descriptor type: 248
>> Sectors per FAT: 0
>> Sectors per Track: 62
>> # heads: 63
>> # hidden sectors: 0
>> Huge sectors in volume: 3941092
>> FAT Type: 32
>> Drive number: 0
>> Signature: 29
>> Volume ID: -1598503492
>> Volume Label:
>> FAT Type: FAT32
>> Root Cluster: 2
>> #
>
> Hi loody, I think this is a bug.
>
> I never try this tool with a real partition, just with img files:
>
>  $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/img2 bs=521 count=100000
>  $ mkdosfs /tmp/img2
>  $ mount -o loop /tmp/img2 /media/fat
>  $ mkdir /media/fat/teste2
>  $ > /media/fat/teste
>  $ cp /etc/passwd /media/fat/
>  $ umount /media/fat
>  $ ./fat-util list / /tmp/img2
>    2 file(s), 1 dir(s)
>    -----a        0 2011 Mar 04 TESTE
>    ----d-        0 2011 Mar 04 TESTE2
>    -----a     2869 2011 Mar 04 PASSWD
>
> Maybe the tool is not ready for real partitions! Sorry...
Actually I think you did a great job, at least you provide a tool for
newbies like me to have a chance to learn file system.

What is the difference between real partition and image?
for kernel, they are nothing but a place to write file systems, right?
Appreciate your help,
miloody
it is fine.

what is the diff