link question

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 13:46:19 EDT 2011

Hi...

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 00:36, Littlefield, Tyler <tyler at tysdomain.com> wrote:
> I have a quick question; this is something I haven't been able to figure
> out. By using the kernel headers you can call functions that are defined
> in the kernel, but you don't actually have to link to the kernel or any
> sort of library. How does this work? How does compiled code call the
> function if it doesn't link to it in some way or another?.

you need to look closer....for example include/linux/mm.h. There you
will see definition of constants and functions used for memory
management.

So, what library here means IMHO are group of headers that contains
the needed functions/definitions by themselves. Linking? I think it's
better named as "including"...indeed there are linking process during
kernel build, but that is just a way to build final image using
several objects which originated from the practice of refactoring etc.

kindly CMIIW people...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa