writting NIC driver for IPV6

Michael Blizek michi1 at michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com
Tue Jun 28 12:38:12 EDT 2011

Hi!

On 18:02 Tue 28 Jun     , Gang Lei (????) wrote:
> HI all:
>
> Thanks for your help in advance. Could anyone tell me how to revise NIC driver to support IPV6? Or it doesn??t need driver??s change to support IPV6? Can anyone throw some light on this question?

You do not need to change the nic driver to support IPv6 unless it's the
driver is totally broken. Network cards and drivers operate on layer 2 and
generally do not care what you do on layer 3 and above. However in some cases
hardware accelerations like "TCP segmentation offloading" may be available
which partly violates this layer separation. But this is "only" a performance
issue.

	-Michi
--
programing a layer 3+4 network protocol for mesh networks
see http://michaelblizek.twilightparadox.com