Kernel log mechanism: How to log messages in a different file

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 11:06:45 EDT 2011

Thanks Bruce, On my system,

[rango at localhost:] locate syslog.conf
/etc/rsyslog.conf
/etc/init/rsyslog.conf
/usr/share/man/man5/rsyslog.conf.5.gz
/var/lib/dpkg/info/rsyslog.conffiles

Also there is a configuration file under
/etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf which has
the rules for logging messages in various files, I guess I need to
edit this file.
As of now I'm also looking into the information available here:
http://wiki.rsyslog.com/index.php/Configuration_Samples

Regards,
Amit