Kernel log mechanism: How to log messages in a different file

amit mehta gmate.amit at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:40:43 EDT 2011

Hi,

I've written some kernel modules using kprobes infrastructure
to grab some more information on network packets. I've lots of
printk which by default show up in syslog file(/var/log/messages),
I was wondering if there are some method to redirect my printkS
to appear in somewhere else(say /var/log/netlog).
On a busy system, it gets little cluttered with other logs. Of-course
i can grep for my own custom messages but it would be lot more
convenient if i can redirect my messages in  a separate log file.

Considering above can be done, then what about dmesg ?
will they still show up in dmesg output ?

Regards,
Amit