KGDB command line options not working for kernel 2.6.32

Shaji Yusuf shajiyusuf at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 01:39:44 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Im using the following compile options for kernel 2.6.32
CONFIG_KGDB = y
CONFIG_KGDB_SERIAL_CONSOLE = y

While booting the kernel Im using the following command line options

kgdboc=ttyS0, 115200 kgdbwait

Neither is the kernel waiting for gdb connection nor is it sending any thing to
the serial port.

I tried reordering the options with kgdbwait first, but both are not working. I
also tried kgdb8250 but no change.

My serial console is working when I give console=ttyS0 option. So the serial
interface seems to work fine.
I saw this problem reported by multiple people in different forums but there
seem to be no resolution. I tried all the suggestions but none works.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shaji Yusuf