how to implement a SCSI commands through a driver?

sumeet gandhare sumeetgandhare at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 11:14:26 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 5:22 PM, RKK <kulkarni.ravi4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all ,
> Im trying to implement a custom new storage protocl which uses SCSI
> for storage in Linux .  I have been looking around for some files in
> the Linux SCSI subsystems to understand its three  layered design. The
> idea is to develop a separate stack which will internally use SCSI .
> so to get started all i want to do is write a module(kernel space)
> which sends SCSI commands to target device and retrieve some
> information from it. any idea like to how to proceed and which are
> files/books that can help me in this regard. I'm reading SCSI SPC-4
> and SBC-3 specifications .
>
> Hi Ravi,
   Please have a look at files drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c , drivers/scsi/scsi.c
and drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c, drivers/scsi/scsi_error.c
   scsi_scan.c contains the scsi discovery code. scsi_error.c contains the
error recovery code ..

   The main entry point function in scsi middle layer is scsi_request_fn ()
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.39/drivers/scsi/scsi_lib.c#L1481
  Also look at function scsi_alloc_sdev () in
http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.39/drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c#L238 ..

Regards,
Sumeet