tools to identify linux kernel panics and system hangs

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 05:49:11 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 13:33, Amit Nagal <helloin.amit at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> What are the best tools to trace  linux kernel  panics and system
> hangs for linux kernel .
> please recommend for x86 as well as arm platforms .

I think, stack dump function inside magic sysrq is your first bet
here... of course, it might not working on some cases (e.g: too much
stack corruption). And don't forget to compile your kernel with debug
info and frame pointer enabled...without that, stack dump will have
hard time to convert addresses into meaningful symbols and back
tracking stack frames.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa