Linux kernel thread model

Prashant Shah pshah.mumbai at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 01:26:57 EDT 2011

Hi manish,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:09 AM, manish honap
<manish_honap_vit at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Can someone please tell me what is the threading model of linux kernel ?
> user space thread:kernel thread process - n:1 or m:n or 1:1

Straight from Linux Kernel Development 3rd Edition book...

In Linux kernel, there is no concept of thread. Linux implements all
threads as standard processes. Thread is just a process that shares
resources with other processes. There are no special data structures
to represent threads. Each thread has its own process descriptor and
appears to kernel as normal process - they just happen to shares
resource such as address space with other processes.