Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 07:55:40 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 8:41 PM, Venkateswarlu P
> how to understand the kernerl source  files in a simple way
>

> what header  files i have to understand first
>

> for example  to understand      do_fork()     function  for process
> creation  which is defined in  kernel/fork.c

In the end the Linux kernel is just a big project written in C.
Instead of asking what files do you need to understand. You should ask
yourself what subsystem do you want to learn?

Focus on functionality and browse the code to understand. As others
pointed before there are lots of good books that will give you a high
overview of the kernel.

The first book that I recommend reading is Linux kernel development by
Robert Love, but only if you have already read a book on operating
system concepts. The best book for me is Andrew Tanenbaum's Modern
Operating Systems.

Hope it helps,

--
Javier Martínez Canillas