Problem with newly compiled kernel 2.6.39 (initrd.img not being created)

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 21:13:38 EDT 2011

Hi....

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 00:45, Naman shekhar Mishra
<namanshekharmishra2 at yahoo.in> wrote:
> My platform is Intel 32 bit.
> I am using kernel 2.6.35-22 generic for these steps and the newly compiled
> kernel is 2.6.39
> Here's my steps:

try to preceed it with "make mrproper" first...just to make sure you
don't inaccidentally use leftover object files from previous
compilation....

> $make defconfig
> $make -j2 CC="ccache gcc"

try to leave out ccache temporarily....... just to make sure you use
freshly compiled object files.

> $make modules
> #make modules_install
> #make install

I am not 100% whether "make install" implies "make bzImage".
Personally, I suggest this order:
make bzImage
(check whether you indeed see arch/x86/boot/bzImage....)
make modules && make modules_install
make install

> #update-grub
> After these sequence of steps, I tried to boot into the new kernel and there
> was nothing (except for the blinking caps lock) .

Simply blank? no previous message? even grub's kernel selection screen?

>So I checked and there was
> no initrd.img in /boot.

that may or may not be the source of the problem.....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant