Clarification on memory mapping

sandeep kumar coolsandyforyou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 02:34:28 EDT 2011

Hi,
I am new to kernel programming. Last few days i have been reading about
memory management, memory mapping etc.,
But i could not put the things together.
Here i need clarifications regarding the few things whether wat i understood
is right or not.

1) Mapping means bringing a device memory which is not in the address space
of kernel/user to its address space.

ioremap() :
2) ioremap does mapping of a particular i/o device to kernel logical memory
address.

mmap()
3) mmap does the mapping of a device memory to user space virtual address.

kmap()
4) gets a kernel virtual address of an allocated high memory page.

5) And finally memory mapping does a manipulation of a PTE.

Tell if i have interpreted anything wrong and please correct me.

Thank you

--
With regards,
Sandeep Kumar Anantapalli,