Clarification on memory mapping
coolsandyforyou at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 02:34:28 EDT 2011
I am new to kernel programming. Last few days i have been reading about
memory management, memory mapping etc.,
But i could not put the things together.
Here i need clarifications regarding the few things whether wat i understood
is right or not.
1) Mapping means bringing a device memory which is not in the address space
of kernel/user to its address space.
2) ioremap does mapping of a particular i/o device to kernel logical memory
3) mmap does the mapping of a device memory to user space virtual address.
4) gets a kernel virtual address of an allocated high memory page.
5) And finally memory mapping does a manipulation of a PTE.
Tell if i have interpreted anything wrong and please correct me.
Sandeep Kumar Anantapalli,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Kernelnewbies