questions for Linus

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed Jun 1 01:27:31 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 10:32:55AM +0800, Pei Lin wrote:
> As the newbie, look at here, suddenly one thought rush in my brain.
> After twenty years development, the kernel became bigger and bigger.
> The cost time for building the kernel becomes much more.

Sure, more code that does more and more complex compilers means more
time to build the code.

> If someone writes one new feature in kernel core, he maybe wants to
> load the component directly into running kernel instead of rebuild the
> kernel and reboot it.
> Could the kernel support all components reloadable dynamically in core
> as scheduler, memory management etc?

We support modules already, just not for some core things, so you can do
this today.

> Now the driver subsystem is modularity, could kernel make everything
> modularity and all things be hotplugged?

Everything that can be physically hotplugged can be with Linux (i.e.
hardware).  We don't want to have different schedulers, but we do have
different i/o schedulers already that can be changed dynamically.  The
mm core does not make any sense to be a module though.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h