spin_lock and scheduler confusion

Dave Hylands dhylands at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:49:36 EST 2011

Hi Rajat,

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM, Rajat Sharma <fs.rajat at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I remember timer interrupt as well is an NMI so, it is possible (although
> not advised) to call schedule function while holding spinlock on same core.
>
> spin_lock_irqsave();
> schedule();
> spin_lock_irqrestore();

You're not supposed to call schedule with interrupts disbled.

If you follow the code though schedule, you'll see that it calls
schedule_debug, which in turns checks to see if its being called from
an atomic context and if it is, it will cause the

BUG: scheduling while atomic:

message along with a stack dump.