Question on mmap / expecting more calls to vfs_read

Rajat Sharma fs.rajat at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:26:43 EST 2011

> Add your stats hooks to do_mmap or mmap_region() ???

mmap is one time call to initialize virtual address space of current process
with corresponding region on file's disk image. Once this setting is done,
this the actual calls to read data from file is accomplish through memory
area's (vma) page fault handlers which in turn call readpage address space
operation of an inode:

inode->i_mapping->a_ops->readpage(file, page).

so, suitable position is to add hooks on readpage a_op. And of-course for
doing that, you may have to capture various path thorugh which inode can
come in memory, e.g. lookup and create directory inode operation (for
regular files). For your worst nightmare, NFS implements its readdir with an
additional feature with v3 protocol called READDIR PLUS, which not only
gives you name of children of a directory, but also initializes their inodes
in memory, so you may have to hook readdir as well and trap aops of all
regular file child after nfs_readdir is finished.

As far as offset and length of I/O are concerned, page->index gives you its
index in the page cache which in turn is equivalent to file offset
(page->index << PAGE_SHIFT). readpage is invoked to bring in complete page
in memory. It may so happen that page is a partial page (e.g. last page of
file), in that case your I/O lenght will be inode->i_size & ~PAGE_MASK,
otherwise it can be PAGE_SIZE. don't worry about file wholes, that is taken
care by filesystem's original readpage method.

Having said above, it will still be better if you can state what you want to
achieve in little layman language.

Rajat