LDD3 examples updated

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:20:41 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Shreyansh Jain <shrey.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Javier,

>> I will try to keep the code always in sync with linux-next but there
>> will be tags to stable versions. Now there are tags that compile with
>> kernel versions 2.6.32, 2.6.35 and 2.6.37.
>
> Do you need help in making the ldd3 files compliant for any other
> kernels? Do you have any plans for others kernels (besides the
> linux-next) in your mind which might need porting work - probably some
> people on the list (including me) might be interested.

Note that 2.6.32 has been designated a LTS (Long Term Support) kernel
by the powers that be.

So that kernel would be good one to focus training resources on.  It
will likely be supported for several years by Redhat, Suse, Canonical,
etc.  Thus testing all the LDD3 examples with it would be very
beneficial.

ie. It is the basis of SLES 11.1 SP1, etc. so these firms are
contractually obligated to support a LTS kernel for years.  To lighten
the load, they got together and chose the 2.6.32 kernel as one they
would support together.  I think this is the first time they have
tried this approach.  I suspect they will do it again a couple years
from now.

Greg