Kernel compilation

scott redhowlingwolves at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 00:34:32 EST 2011

I'm new to the list and would like to say hello to everyone. Now on to
the meat.

I have tried to compile a kernel with a grsec patch 5 times now using a
couple of different methods and I keep getting a "No init found" and
"Couldn't support optional features" errors every time at bootup.
I'm trying to use a vanilla 2.6.32.27 kernel on 10.04 Ubuntu and it
compiles fine,
just will not boot.

I've tried "CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=`getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN` fakeroot make-kpkg
--initrd --append-to-version=-custom kernel_image kernel_headers",
"CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-586
kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image".

I have all the reqs for building kernels such as build-essentials, fakeroot,
kernel-package, kernel-wedge, nurces-dev and qt for xconfig.

These are the steps I've taken. DL the kernel image from kernels.org, get
the patch from grsec.net, untar the kernel, cd into the directory created,
do a 'cp /boot/config-`uname -r` .config', 'make oldconfig', apply the
patch, then either 'make menuconfig' or 'make xconfig'. Then I do a
'make-kpkg clean' and run one of the commands in the first paragraph above.

I get the debs built and can install them just fine, but I keep getting the
same errors. I've cut out as many "Experimental" options I thought might
cause a problem and still get a kernel panic at boot.

Anyone have a clue what I'm doing wrong?
Scott