functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch

Sowmya Sridharan sowmya.sridharan at tcs.com
Mon Jan 3 02:43:57 EST 2011

Hi,

I was able to check it in 2.6.36 version of kernel, and it is defined in
traps.c.
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L205

dump_stack() calls show_backtrace function which had been show_trace in
the earlier kernel versions.
I compared between 2.6.14 and the latest version, and here are the
differences:
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.14/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L110
function: show_trace
     while (!kstack_end(stack)) {
                addr = *stack++;
                if (__kernel_text_address(addr)) {
                        printk(" [<%0*lx>] ", field, addr);
                        print_symbol("%s\n", addr);
                }
        }
In the latest kernel, show_backtrace function is used, which does the same
thing, but through different functions
http://lxr.linux.no/linux+v2.6.36/arch/mips/kernel/traps.c#L126
function: show_backtrace
        printk("Call Trace:\n");
         do {
                 print_ip_sym(pc);
                 pc = unwind_stack(task, &sp, pc, &ra);
         } while (pc);

Regards,
Sowmya

kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org wrote on 01/02/2011 04:31:08 PM:

> [image removed]
>
> Re: functions about dump backtrace function names in mips arch
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
>
> to:
>
> loody
>
> 01/02/2011 04:33 PM
>
> Sent by:
>
> kernelnewbies-bounces at kernelnewbies.org

> Kernel Newbies
>
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 15:26, loody <miloody at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  Dear all:
> >  If i remember correctly, when kernel panic there is a function I can
> >  use to dump all the names of backtrace functions.
> >  I have searched arch/mips/traps.c, but I only can see the dump
> >  functions of cpu registers,
>
> In x86, it's dump_stack(). The definition can be read here online:
> http://lxr.linux.no/#linux+v2.6.36/arch/x86/kernel/dumpstack.c#L198
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa