Errors in booting a new image built

julie Sullivan kernelmail.jms at gmail.com
Mon Feb 28 16:45:51 EST 2011

Hi Sada

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM, SADA SIVA REDDY S
<sadasiva.reddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>    I am trying to setup linux development environment.

You could also try Robert P J Day's excellent guide to this (which
uses Ubuntu as an example):

http://crashcourse.ca/introduction-linux-kernel-programming/lesson-1-building-and-running-new-linux-kernel

I use this formula I picked up from his course on my Ubuntu boxes and
it's always worked for me:

$ make

then

$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo make install
$ sudo update-initramfs -c -k 2.6.35-crash+
$ sudo update-grub

Replace 2.6.35-crash+ with the name of your kernel.

BTW if you want to sign up for Robert's course I can recommend it as I
found it very helpful. Although many of the lessons (like this kernel
installing one) are free (thanks Rob).

I can second Javier's recommendation of "Linux kernel in a nutshell"
which is really a little manual for making and customizing a kernel
(not a guide to the kernel itself as the title suggests). It'll help
you cut out a lot of the crud you don't need in your config and
possibly also help you discover some stuff you didn't know about that
you _do_ want.
Cheers
Julie