iomem and ioports

anish singh anish198519851985 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 10:27:50 EST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Rajat Jain <rajatjain at juniper.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This code says that there are 0x10000 possible ioports i.e. in the range (0
> - 0xFFFF). To map these into iomemory, simply an address = (0x10000 + ioport
> num) is used. Thus this code:
>

> > if (port > PIO_MASK) return NULL;
> >
> Checks that the ioport number is within the range of ioports.
>

> > return (void __iomem *) (unsigned long) (port + PIO_OFFSET);
> >
> And if yes, offsets it by 0x10000 and returns the resulting address that
> shall be used as iomemory.

Some places i have seen that directly IO port is typecasted to  (__iomem * )
and used as it is i.e. returned value is given to ioread and iowrite
functions.Kindly explain why in some cases we dont add offset and in some
cases we add??
Is it because in some board we need to memory map the port number and then
read/write and in some boards we don't need to do that as we can directly
access the port using arch specific functions??