directory entry

mohit verma mohit89mlnc at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 06:14:17 EST 2011

hi all,
is there any way to find out the offset or the directory entry number of a
file in the directory ?

let me explain a bit more:

when we open a drectory via open(2) and find out the directory entry by
readdir(2,3) or getdents(2) it automatically increases to the next
directory entry and fills in the dirent structure.
but in kernel space , let we have the parent directory name and child of it
. so is there any way to figure out at what  offset or what number (exactly)
that perticular child will occur in the directory contains?

*MOHIT VERMA*