Interrupt handling

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 05:46:43 EST 2011

Hi... :)

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 16:08, Darshan Ghumare
<darshan.ghumare at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sir,
> On x86 UP (Single CPU), Can lower priority (say) IRQ5 preempt higher one
> (say) IRQ4 (Currently, CPU is executing interrupt handler of IRQ4)?

In Linux kernel, I never heard such irq prioritizing. Linux kernel
does general preemption such that any code path could preempt other
code path as long as preemption is allowed at that point and/or
interrupt is enabled (which one affect the situation depends on type
of code path).

But, vaguely I read that Windows kernel does that.... that's why in
certain BSOD you read message prefixed with "IRQL xxx xxx xxxx". That
means lower interrupt handler somehow preempt higher one and that's
not allowed.

It comes from my raw observation so things might be wrong somewhere...

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant