multicore and crash

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 03:54:12 EST 2011

Hi...

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 10:50, naveen yadav <yad.naveen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I need small clarification for multicore linux kernel
>
> Case;1
> Kernel space:
>
> 1. If on two CPU's both running in kernel space and both crash at same
> time t. what will happen will we get two crash dumps of registers or
> single ?

I somewhat agree with Joongyu. So in the best case, you get one crash
dump representing states of both CPUs. In worst case, you got none.

IMO, it would always be single crash dump.....no matter how much CPUs
you have...kernel AFAIK is single entity...

> Case :2
>
> User Space:
>
> 1. If on two CPU's both running in User space and both crash at same
> time t. what will happen will we get two core files, Single core with
> dump for both ?

ok, you mean both CPUs running different programs and currently in
user mode? now in this case you shall have two core files. One core
file represent single task process address space AFAIK.

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa
Freelance Linux trainer and consultant