Regarding PREEMPT_RT option

Manohar Vanga manohar.vanga at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 21:14:12 EST 2011

Hi Sri,

>       I am trying to find detailed explanation of preemption option
> in config. For desktop, server, and low-latency desktop. Can anyone
> explain in what scenarios these are useful.

Free Electrons has a great presentation about real-time Linux [1]. They go
into some detail on the specific options of the rt-preempt patches on page
26 of their slides [2]. The other slides of the presentation are obviously a
great read as well. Also, if you are interested in learning about real-time
and issues related to it (and not specifically the rt-preempt patches), I
recommend checking out the ELC 2010 video of the talk "Real-Time Linux
Failure" by Frank Rowand [3] as well as Mike Anderson's excellent talk
"Using Interrupt Threads to Prioritize Interrupts" [3]. IIRC the latter goes
into details of the rt-preempt patches and explains the issues and solutions
involved quite well.

Hope this helps :-)

[1] http://free-electrons.com/docs/realtime/
[2] http://free-electrons.com/doc/embedded_linux_realtime.pdf