3.2.0-rc1 could not find module

Martin Smith smith_it2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 08:06:29 EST 2011

I used git to down load the source code.

I did:

make defconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install

make install had problems:

sh /usr/data/KERNEL/linux-stable/arch/x86/boot/install.sh 3.2.0-rc1 arch/x86/boot/bzImage \
                System.map "/boot"
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module autofs4
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module fcoe
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module 8021q
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module libfcoe
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module garp
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module libfc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module stp
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module llc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module scsi_transport_fc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module scsi_tgt
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module sunrpc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6t_REJECT
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module nf_conntrack_ipv6
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module xt_state
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module nf_conntrack
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6table_filter
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ip6_tables
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ipv6
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module xfs
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module exportfs
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module dm_mirror
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module dm_region_hash
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module dm_log
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module raid456
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module async_raid6_recov
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module async_pq
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module raid6_pq
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module async_xor
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module xor
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module async_memcpy
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module async_tx
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ppdev
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module parport_pc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module parport
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module sg
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module i2c_piix4
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module i2c_core
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_intel8x0
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_ac97_codec
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ac97_bus
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_seq
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_seq_device
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_pcm
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_timer
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module soundcore
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module snd_page_alloc
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module e1000
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ext3
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module jbd
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module mbcache
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module raid1
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module sd_mod
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module crc_t10dif
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module sr_mod
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module cdrom
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ahci
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module pata_acpi
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ata_generic
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module ata_piix
ERROR: modinfo: could not find module dm_mod

It did however update grub and I had the option to boot from the new kernel.

When I did boot from the new kernel, it gave the error "Could not find root device"

I'm guessing that is because (amoung other things) the ext3 module was not found.

When I looked at the make output a ext3.o has been built. And I can see it here:

[root at bk508 linux-stable]# find . -name ext3.o
./fs/ext3/ext3.o

Yet somehow the make install is not finding it.

Any help would be appreciated.