How to copy kernel headers?

autif khan autif.mlist at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 11:55:19 EST 2011

I have linux kernel source in a directory (say) /home/autif/linux-2.6.29.4
I can make xconfig followed by make bzImage, followed by make modules

Now, I can install the modules using "make modules_install
INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/home/autif/2.6.29.4.modules" - This works
beautifully, without any issue.

I have tried to install the kernel headers using "make headers_install
INSTALL_HDR_PATH=/home/autif/2.6.29.4.headers"

I can tar and extract these modules and headers on some other computer
(target computer) at the right location. Meaning that modules are
extracted to /lib/modules/2.6.29.4/ and "build" is symlinked to
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.29.4 - where I extracted the headers.

However, I only get the include directory.

When I try to build a driver on the target computer, there is
complaint that I do not have a Makefile in
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.29.4

The build produces something like 1.5 GB of files and this is too much
for my target system. I am reluctant to build the driver on the build
system and want to build it on target. Both build and target are i386
systems (one a full blown Debian based), the other something somewhat
based on LFS.

So, my short problem is - what make command I need to execute to
install the build dependencies (including headers, Makefiles and other
stuff that may be required by the driver) to copy that stuff over to a
custom directory (say /home/autif/2.6.29.4.build_dependencies) so that
I can tar it up and extract is on my target system at (say)
/usr/src/linux-2.6.29.4

Thanks

Autif