kernel 3.2rc4 hangs if I use allyesconfig

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 02:55:09 EST 2011

Forgot to cc kernelnewbies mailing list while replying..

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM, rajaneesh acharya <
rajaneeshacharya at indiatimes.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
>  I created a kernel using the target as allyesconfig. The machine fails to
> bootup (just hangs with 100% cpu utilization) with message "Booting the
> kernel"
> If I use the config from a distro and create the kernel image, it boots
> fine..
>
>  Apart from the fact that allyesconfig will create a bulky kernel image
> and loads lots of drivers that are not needed, what could be other reasons
> why this would fail.. I have 8GB RAM and AMD Quad code..
>
>  For above testing, I used QEMU command as below
> >>qemu-system-x86_64 -kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0 -initrd test.cpio.gz

Oh, you have an AMD cpu? There was a regression which prevented Linux from
booting
on some AMD cpus. And this has  been fixed in Linux-3.2-rc5. Please try
that version
and see if the problem still persists.

[The specific patch I am referring to is, "x86: Fix boot failures on older
AMD CPU's"
See https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/12/9/419]

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat