how to configure printk() in 2.6 kernel

Jonathan Neuschäfer j.neuschaefer at gmx.net
Tue Aug 30 15:25:13 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 04:38:03PM -0700, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ramesh.P <rameshpa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Vaibhav,
> >
> > Try /etc/rsyslog.conf. However you should be using
> > /proc/sys/kernel/printk to really configure printk.

[snip]

> Hi Ramesh,
>
> As I mentioned /etc/syslog.conf is not there on my system. Could you please
> tell me if the name has changed for the file in 2.6 kernel ? Also, does
> /proc/sys/kernel/printk provides for the same level of control ?

Syslog is a user space program, that collects the kernel messages.
So if you don't have /etc/syslog.conf on your system, it likely just
means that you don't have a standard installation of the syslog program,
which can have different reasons. AFAIK, syslog has been replaced by
rsyslog or syslog-ng on modern desktop linux distros.

BTW, Ramesh told you to try /etc/rsyslog.conf (note the 'r'), not
/etc/syslog.conf.

HTH,
	Jonathan Neuschäfer