How to understand 'make oldconfig'?

Mulyadi Santosa mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 12:37:53 EDT 2011

hi....

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 23:32, Parmenides <mobile.parmenides at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have tried to understand 'make oldconfig' command while
> configurating kernel. I do some experiments and get the following
> ideas:
>
> 1. When there is no a .config in /usr/src/linux,
>    (1)  If there is no a /boot/config-x.y.z, make will ask some
> questions and then produce a .config.
>    (2)  Otherwise, make will copy the /boot/config-x.y.z to
> /usr/src/linux/.config.
>
> My question: According to the messages generated by make, I get that
> both 'make defconfig' and 'make oldconfig' will gerenate .config based
> on 'i386_defconfig'. Why does 'make oldconfig' ask some questions,
> while 'make defconfig' does not?

because "make defconfig" is simply generating a default pre configured
config file (it's based on i386_defconfig as you said).

make oldconfig asks something? quite likely because you tried to fetch
that config into newer kernel version. Thus, it asks your decision on
what to do on those new introduced options.

> 2. When there is a .config in /usr/src/linux indeed, make do nothing
> but generate a copy of .config, namely .config.old.

I don't understand.....

--
regards,

Mulyadi Santosa