How to make the kernel support NTFS?

Parmenides mobile.parmenides at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:58:49 EDT 2011

Hi,

    I have dumped a lfs 6.3 cdrom to a virutal hard disk in vmware,
and it goes without any problem. The original kernel version of lfs
6.3 is 2.6.25. I have upgraded it to 2.6.34 and it seems work well.
But, when trying to compile the kernnel 2.6.34 to include the NTFS
support, the kernel can not boot and gives me the following messages:

Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

When doing  'make menuconfig', I have selected these options:

File systems -> FUSE(Filesystem in Userspace) support
                    -> DOS/FAT/NT Filesystem -> NTFS file system support

       -> NTFS write support
and all of them are compiled into the kernel, rather than kernel modules.

The kermel parameter is also OK:

default 0
timeout 30
title LFS
root(hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.34 root=/dev/hda1

Now that I just add NTFS support, what's the NFS matter? How can I
make the kernel to support the NTFS file system?