[ Kernel not booting up ]

ashish raste rasteashish at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 16:15:06 EDT 2011

Hi Srivatsa,

On 8/20/11, Srivatsa Bhat <bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ashish,
>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 3:48 PM, ashish raste <rasteashish at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Recently I compiled and tried installing kernel (2.6.39.3), which I
>> downloaded from kernel.org
>> All the activity that I did was to copy the .config file of my distro
>> (Ubuntu 10.10), then the following commands :
>>
>> - make menuconfig ( I exited, keeping the default configuration )
>>

> You can execute 'make localmodconfig' after this, to ensure that you have
> all the necessary
> components enabled in the .config file. It also strips off all the
> unnecessary ones, which will speed up
> your compilation.

I didn't do a 'make localmodconfig' after this.

> Did you forget to run 'make' after this stage?
>
> - make modules
>> - make install_modules

Yes, I ran make and make install_modules after this stage. Forgot
writing it in my previous mail.

> I run 'make modules_install' here...
>
> - make install
>> - update grub
>>
>> All of the above commands got executed without any errors, and the new
>> kernel version was also shown in the grub menu. But it showed some
>> errors and didn't login.
>>
>> When I tried logging to my Ubuntu distro, a blue login box(which is
>> normally violet in color) appeared. After giving password, it came
>> back again to the same screen without going inside.
>>
>> Only thing I was able to do was to dropping in root mode (from
>> Ubuntu's recovery mode u\in the grub menu) and looking at all of my
>> data through terminal without a GUI.
>>
>> Do you see a prompt like this ?:
> grub>

I didn't see a prompt of grub> Instead the following errors were
listed on the black screen :

[  2.4331....] Error: Driver 'mdio-gpio' is already registered. aborting...
[  2.8364... ] Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root
fs on unknown-block(0,0)
[ .........     ] Pid: 1. comm: swapper Not tainted 2.6.39.3 #1
[ ......        ] Call Trace:

and list of errors in this trace.

--
~Cheers!!
Ashish Raste

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Sir Albert Einstein