[ Kernel not booting up ]

ashish raste rasteashish at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 06:18:46 EDT 2011

Hi all,

Recently I compiled and tried installing kernel (2.6.39.3), which I
downloaded from kernel.org
All the activity that I did was to copy the .config file of my distro
(Ubuntu 10.10), then the following commands :

- make menuconfig ( I exited, keeping the default configuration )
- make modules
- make install_modules
- make install
- update grub

All of the above commands got executed without any errors, and the new
kernel version was also shown in the grub menu. But it showed some
errors and didn't login.

When I tried logging to my Ubuntu distro, a blue login box(which is
normally violet in color) appeared. After giving password, it came
back again to the same screen without going inside.

Only thing I was able to do was to dropping in root mode (from
Ubuntu's recovery mode u\in the grub menu) and looking at all of my
data through terminal without a GUI.

Can anyone tell how can I recover my compiled kernel and distro's kernel?

Thankyou.

--
~Cheers!!
Ashish Raste

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
-Sir Albert Einstein