Port Linux multiprocessor support

Giorgis Georgakoudis ggeorgakoudis at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 16:53:04 EDT 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 19:21, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 11:20:44AM +0300, Giorgis Georgakoudis wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I would like to ask for some pointers regarding
> > porting Linux kernel multiprocessor support in
> > new platforms. More specifically, what are the
> > HW requirements that a platform must have to
> > enable Linux multiprocessing
>
> It must have more than one processor and both must be able to see the
> same system "image" at the same time.

In fact, I'm trying to support multiprocessing in an experimental
architecture
of Microblazes on an FPGA. There isn't (HW) cache coherency and RAM is
accessed through per processor dedicated buses, thus shared access locking
must be realized either in a software manner or through a dedicated hardware
mutex.

> > and some info
> > on kernel internals with respect to the booting
> > process, scheduling/migration etc.
> >
> > I've been looking around for relevant documenta-
> > tion but found little to none.
>
> Is the code not enough documentation for you for doing your porting
> work?  What specifically do you find lacking?
>
> greg k-h

No doubt that the ultimate documentation is the code but still allow me
to consider that a higher level overview, abstracting code intricacies is
helpful.

Best regards,

Giorgis