Difference between logical and physical cpu hotplug

Srivatsa Bhat bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 14:10:16 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 9:02 AM, srivatsa bhat <bhat.srivatsa at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Vaibhav,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Vaibhav Jain <vjoss197 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I talked to a friend of mine and he suggested that
>>> in a logical offline state the cpu is powered on and ready to execute
>>> instructions
>>> just that the kernel is not aware of it. But in case of physical offline
>>> state the cpu
>>> is powered off and cannot run.
>>> Are you saying something similar ?
>>>
>>> Yes, you are right, mostly.
>> When you try to logically offline a CPU, the kernel will do task migration
>> (i.e., move out all the tasks running on that CPU to other CPUs in the
>> system) and it ensures that it doesn't need that CPU anymore. This also
>> means that, from now on, the context of that CPU need not be saved (because
>> the kernel has moved that CPU's tasks elsewhere). At this point, it is as if
>> the kernel is purposefully using only a subset of the available CPUs. This
>> step is a necessary prerequisite to do physical CPU offline later on.
>>
>> But I don't think CPU power ON or OFF is the differentiating factor
>> between logical and physical offlining. In logical offline, you still have
>> the CPUs in the system but you just tell the kernel not to use them. At this
>> stage, you can power off your CPU, to save power for example.
>> But in physical offline, from a software perspective, you do additional
>> work at the firmware level (apart from logical offlining at the OS level),
>> to ensure that physically plugging out the CPUs will not affect the running
>> system in any way.
>>
>> Please note that you can logically online and offline the same CPUs over
>> and over again without rebooting the system. Here, while onlining a CPU
>> which was offlined previously, the kernel follows almost the same sequence
>> which it normally follows while booting the CPUs during full system booting.
>>
>> Also one more thing to be noted is that, to be able to physically hot-plug
>> CPUs, apart from OS and firmware support, you also need the hardware to
>> support this feature. That is, the electrical wiring to the individual CPUs
>> should be such that plugging them in and out does not interfere with the
>> functioning of the rest of the system. As of today, there are only a few
>> systems that support physical CPU-hotplug. But you can do logical CPU
>> hotplug easily, by configuring the kernel appropriately during compilation,
>> as you have noted in one of your previous mails.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Srivatsa S. Bhat
>>

> Hi Srivatsa,
>
> That was great explanation! Thanks!
> I have just one more query. You mentioned above that " the kernel follows
> almost the same *sequence *which it normally follows while booting the
> CPUs during full system booting."
>
> Can you please explain this sequence a little ?

Hi Vaibhav,

I'll try to outline a very high level view of what happens while booting an
SMP (Symmetric Multi-Processor) system. Instead of going through the entire
boot sequence, let me just highlight only the part that is of interest in
this discussion: booting multiple CPUs.

The "boot processor" is the one which is booted first while booting a
system. On x86 architecture, CPU 0 is always the boot processor. Hence, if
you have observed, you cannot offline CPU0 using CPU hot-plugging on an x86
machine. (On an Intel box, the file /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/online is
purposefully absent, for this reason!). But in other architectures, this
might not be the case. For example on POWER architecture, any processor in
the system can act as the boot processor.

Once the boot processor does its initialization, the other processors, known
as "secondary processors or application processors (APs)" are
booted/initialized. Here, obviously some synchronization mechanism is
necessary to ensure that this order is followed. So in Linux, we use 2
bitmasks called "cpu_callout_mask" and "cpu_callin_mask". These bitmasks are
used to indicate the processors available in the system.

Once the boot processor initializes itself, it updates cpu_callout_mask to
indicate which secondary processor (or application processor AP) can
initialize itself next (for example, the boot processor sets a particular
bit as 1 in the cpu_callout_mask). On the other hand, the secondary
processor would have done some very basic initialization till then and will
be testing the value of 'cpu_callout_mask' in a while loop to see if its
number has been "called out" by the boot processor. Only after the boot
processor "calls out" this AP, this AP will continue the rest of its
initialization and completes it.

Once the AP completes its initialization, it reports back to the boot
processor by setting its number in the cpu_callin_mask. As expected, the
boot processor would have been waiting in a while loop on cpu_callin_mask to
see if this AP booted OK or not. Once it finds that the cpu_callin_mask for
this AP has been set, the boot processor follows the same procedure to boot
other APs: i.e., it updates cpu_callout_mask and waits for the corresponding
entry to be set in cpu_callin_mask by that AP and so on. This process
continues until all the APs are booted up.

Of course, each of these "waiting" times (of both boot processor and APs)
are capped by some preset value, say for example 5 seconds. If some AP takes
more than that time to boot, the boot processor declares that the AP could
not boot and takes appropriate action (like clearing its bit in
cpu_callout_mask and logically removing that AP from its tables etc,
effectively forgetting about that processor). Similarly while the APs wait
for the boot processor to call them out, if the boot processor does not call
them within a given time period, they declare kernel panic.

Here are some references, if you are interested in more details:

Linux kernel source code:
1. linux/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c : start_secondary() and smp_callin()
    These are the functions executed by the APs (secondary or application
processors). Actually smp_callin() is called within start_secondary() which
is the primary function executed by APs.

2. linux/arch/x86/kernel/smpboot.c :

Regards,
Srivatsa S. Bhat